Confined Space Procedures Awareness Course
Confined spaces are a common feature of many workplaces and represent one of the highest risks to your workforce if the procedures adopted do not meet good practice. The Confined Space Regulations 1997 describes the requirements for assessing the risk of work in or near to, confined spaces.
It is mandatory for employees who have to work in, near to or manage confined spaces to abide by the regulations. The course will enable staff that have to work in, or supervise Low and Medium risk confined spaces to have an understanding of the regulations and current best practice to ensure that they can work safely.
Delegates on the course will develop:
- An understanding of the definitions of confined spaces.
- An understanding of the dangers of confined spaces as defined in the regulations.
- Knowledge of the risk assessment process.
- The ability to be able to discuss the precautions that should be considered when designing a safe system of work.
- Understanding of the testing procedures that should be instigated prior to and during the confined space operations.
- An understanding of the use of gas testing equipment to ensure a safe working environment.
- Knowledge of the emergency procedures that should be put into place to ensure a suitable and sufficient safe system of work is available.
- An understanding of the various types of breathing apparatus that is available.
- The knowledge to initiate and undertake emergency procedures as required for the space.
- Knowledge of in house and Fire and Rescue Service procedures in relation to confined space emergency procedures.
- Legislation/Risk Assessment.
- Meaning of ‘Confined Spaces’ as per the 1997 regulations.
- Duties under the Confined Space Regulations.
- The specified hazards associated with confined space working.
- Control measures (Permit to Work) procedure relevant to confined space working.
- Safe Systems of work.
- Role of the Entry Supervisor
- Procedures for working in confined spaces.
- Confined space Emergency Procedures.
- Demonstration of Escape Breathing Apparatus equipment
- Plant and equipment that may be required for confined space working.
- A practical rescue exercise using a suitable area can be included on the course if you select the Rescue Module.