Hazardous Materials Spill Response Course
The training aims are designed to enable persons to gain a working knowledge of spill response procedures through both theoretical and practical training sessions.
You will develop:
- Have an understanding of the applicable environmental protection legislation.
- Have an understanding of the risk assessment process.
- Be able to describe the main definitions applicable to the spill control process.
- Have an understanding of the hazards and consequences of a inadequately managed hazardous substance spill.
- Be better informed of their responsibilities with regard to both preventing and managing hazardous substance spills.
- Recognise and use effectively the equipment that is available for dealing with a hazardous substance spill.
- Initiate and undertake emergency procedures as required for the substance involved.
- Have an understanding of Fire & Rescue Service protocols in relation to hazardous substance incidents.
- Introduction, registration and review of the course aims
- Legislation/Risk Assessment.
- Definitions applicable to the safe management of a hazardous substance spill.
- Overview of the COSHH regulations in relation to the handling of hazardous substances.
- The hazards of various substances and the control measures applicable.
- Ready use equipment available for spill response.
- Initial Spill Response Procedures.
- Fire & Rescue protocols for dealing with a hazardous substance.
- Practical exercise using spill response equipment.
This practical training will require the use of a suitable area in which to undertake the simulated spill exercise.
Site specific spill procedures may be included in the course if required.