Industrial Breathing Apparatus Course
The use of breathing apparatus in industry is often a requirement when dangerous substances or gases are used.
Companies that require their personnel to wear breathing apparatus to undertake various work routines within their premises are obliged to ensure that all such persons are fully competent in both their understanding of the equipment and in its safe use in both routine and emergency situations.
The training aims are designed to enable persons that have to wear breathing apparatus in an industrial situation to be able to use this life support equipment in a safe and effective manner.
Delegates on the course will develop:
- An understanding of the physiological requirements of respiration.
- Their knowledge of the dangers of heat stress and apply control measures to reduce the chance of it occurring.
- An understanding of the design of a breathing apparatus set and any ancillary equipment.
- The skills to be able to undertake the standard checks and after use servicing of self contained breathing apparatus.
- The skills to be able to wear breathing apparatus in the environment in which they need to work.
- The skills to be able to wear gas tight chemical protection suits in a safe and effective manner.
- The knowledge of how to handle and use compressed air cylinders safely.
- The knowledge of how to work out air consumption using standard formulae and duration tables.
- An understanding of fire and rescue service procedures in relation to breathing apparatus incidents.
- An understanding of how to instigate emergency procedures whilst wearing breathing apparatus.
- Legislation/Risk Assessment.
- Physiology of respiration.
- Heat stress.
- Construction and design of breathing apparatus.
- Standard tests and after use servicing.
- Safe handling of compressed air cylinders.
- Safe and effective use of chemical protection suits.
- Working with the fire and rescue service at an industrial incident.
- Emergency procedures when in BA.
- Practical confidence building exercise.
- Assessment to confirm understanding and competence.
Persons that are required to use such risk critical respiratory protective equipment should be trained on a regular basis to ensure that their competency is maintained.
Our courses cover the physiological problems of wearing breathing apparatus and chemical protection suits, the construction of the set and the user maintenance.
We look at the safe working procedures involved in dealing with an incident and of course what breathing apparatus wearers should do in the event of an emergency.
If the emergency services are required to assist at an incident in your workplace then a working knowledge of their procedures and expectations is essential.